Gen4Resin

Global & International Rod Building Contributors
PierPoint

Gen4Resin

Post by PierPoint »

We (PierPoint) have ordered a shipment of the excellent Generation, G4 Epoxy Resin (4oz, 8oz and 16oz High & Low Build) and expect delivery into the UK within the next few weeks. We are taking pre-orders and expressions of interest.

The cost will be on a par with existing brands and may be slightly less (depending on import duty, taxes and the exchange rate).

Just message us back and we will record your details and let you know final costs and how to order once we have finalised the details. Click on the image for portrait version.
Attachments
Gen4Resin
Gen4Resin
Last edited by PierPoint on Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chester69

Re: Gen4Resin

Post by Chester69 »

Hi ya Bob,
Would love 16 ounces of this my friend , if you could keep me informed/ updated on prices & what not I'd be more than appreciated.......cheers fella .....
This G4 product sounds like a game changer , from what I'm hearing online it could be just what some of us need , as having a few issues with epoxy atm ! ... & the avenues I tried to go down for help seem to fall on deaf ears . But as all I've learnt in rod building its all about trail & error! ......
PierPoint

Post by PierPoint »

Hi there mate, thanks for the post. I spent years trying to perfect the technique with epoxy resin application and it aint easy thats for sure.

What sort of problems are you having and lets see if we can help you.

That's what we are here for - to try and help others.
Chester69

Post by Chester69 »

Thank you for the quick response, been rod building now about three yrs , my epoxing is improving but my first coat to cover the threads seem to look lumpy after I've applied a second coat , now I've stopped applying epoxy to a turning rod , from advise, I do it by hand then pop it in me dryer , I think I'm not putting enough on the first coat , i say this because some of the threads look like they have a good coat on & some of threads are still visible I'm using U40 light build ,
I do use a little heat if needed & I make sure the room temp is at 70/75 ....
There's some cracking builders out there & some are keen to give advise & help , & a massive shout out to them ,,,& i don't expect all there knowledge they gained over the yrs to be given freely ! ..
All of what I've gained is by trail & error ,...but this epoxy is the crowning glory on my thread work!....
StanM

Post by StanM »

Thank you for the quick response, been rod building now about three yrs , my epoxing is improving but my first coat to cover the threads seem to look lumpy after I've applied a second coat , now I've stopped applying epoxy to a turning rod , from advise, I do it by hand then pop it in me dryer , I think I'm not putting enough on the first coat , i say this because some of the threads look like they have a good coat on & some of threads are still visible I'm using U40 light build ,
I do use a little heat if needed & I make sure the room temp is at 70/75 ....
There's some cracking builders out there & some are keen to give advise & help , & a massive shout out to them ,,,& i don't expect all there knowledge they gained over the yrs to be given freely ! ..
All of what I've gained is by trail & error ,...but this epoxy is the crowning glory on my thread work!....

No idea why the advice should not be given freely, internet and forums are full of free advice, I`ve done full tutorials. Anyway this is on ongoing problem year after year, month after month, most of the problems with resin are pilot error, pure and simple. Then folk try to find a quick fix or a new super dooper thing to use, or a new method etc etc. you will still end up in tears if you don`t master the basics.

I apply resin to the rods whilst the are turning at 18rpm, always have done and always will. No real need for light coats or thinned coats or whatever just apply evenly with a brush or spatula, leave for a5 -10 mins or so and go back and take all the excess off so you do actually see the threads, leave to dry. Give a decent clean up next day, remove any tag ends and apply what should be the second and final coat, (some of my marlin rods get 3 or 4 coats.) Just apply gently with a reasonable thickness but not excessive. Heat or level out using whatever method you prefer, (I use hairdryer on low) job done.
PierPoint

Post by PierPoint »

Always great to get a view from Stan M. I have also used the U40 light and it's decent stuff. When you apply to the thread try and spread it out as evenly as possible or as stan says take off the excess until you are left with the threads showing.

You need to make sure the rod is level and when it turns it needs to be fairly straight. Some turners have a habit of going in an oval direction and that is why some builders mount their own motors.

What sort of Turner do you use.

I have just done a video of a Decal removal, replacement and resin over. Soon to be released so keep an eye on my channel.

Does some of the above help.
Chester69

Post by Chester69 »

Thank-you both for the sound advice , from what stan-m is saying I see where I may be going wrong , on my first coat like I said it looks like its soaking in some threads & staying high on others I'll go back over the wrap & take the high spots off ....I've been leaving them ! Probably why it looks luumpy on second coat .
I use the crb dryers on a level surface, & the rod is always level when applying epoxy, ive also mounted one on the wall .....& i never thin out me epoxy .
I do appreciate the advice , thankyou both 😊.
PierPoint

Post by PierPoint »

Some epoxy resins can be thinned down and I sometimes go 10-20%. I may need to do this when it gets colder as the resin can be a bit thicker.

Be careful when thinning down a lite build though, as this is already thinned down.

So a thinner first coat will give you a better level coat to start with. ;)
Chester69

Post by Chester69 »

Cheers , next time its apply & remove excess so I can see the threads , then me final coat ,
Does it make a difference if you apply to a turning rod in a dryer or turning the rod by hand ? ....
Cheers guys .
PierPoint

Post by PierPoint »

Shouldn't make a difference.