Grinding guide feet

Global & International Rod Building Contributors
Tim1972

Grinding guide feet

Post by Tim1972 »

Just interested if most of you grind your Guide feet down .. I’ve only done one build so far and that was with pac bay minimas .. I like them because there light and Robust .. but found them bulky to start my wrap over the leg .. ground them down with a dremal but still found them hard to start the wrap over .. be interested to hear how you professionals tackle it ..many thanks
Last edited by Tim1972 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chester69

Re: Grinding guide feet

Post by Chester69 »

Hi ya Tim...
Dremels a good tool to use fella but I always finish the end of the toe with a fine file , once I've done both feet I'll place the guide on the blank & see how she sits , make sure both feet are sat firmly on the blank & not riding up if they are slightly out you may need a pair of pilers to gently bend the feet in or out .
Also a little trick I use as I'm getting close to the toe & just about to ride up the foot if it won't go up then just move thread up the foot a little bit whip a few turns then burnish it down the foot over the toe & onto the blank ...
Hope this makes sense my friend.....
Tim1972

Post by Tim1972 »

Thanks so much Chester 69 ..that’s how I wiped over mine like that over the leg then burnished the thread down ..but wasn’t sure if I supposed to do it like that .but it helped ..I will make sure the feet will be flat on the blank next time I get round to doing my next rod build .. thanks for taking the time to reply much appreciated 👍🏻
Tim Albright

Post by Tim Albright »

Be careful how sharp a point you grind down to. I have only had one rod break in normal use, and that was one I didn't build. On investigation the guide feet had been sharpened to cutting points that dug into the blank when flexed.
Tim1972

Post by Tim1972 »

Oh dear that’s not good 🤭