High build !

Global & International Rod Building Contributors
Tim1972

High build !

Post by Tim1972 »

I am new to rod building got lot to learn .. I’ve done my first build a zippo 2500 m .. I used prokote for my high build .. found it ok when warm weather, but had to heat it up when cold our would be to thick and lot of air bubbles .. but when I finally got it right was pleased with it .. but for my next project I want to try flexcoat uv high build that I’ve bought to compare the both products... prokote seems take a while go of .be interesting to here your thoughts on high build products lads .many thanks Tim
PierPoint

Re: High build !

Post by PierPoint »

Hi Tim, great post regarding high build and should generate a bit of interest. I have a fair few high build products and have probably tried them all and the key thing to point out is that they are all different and all react to different environmental conditions, especially the workshop. The thing to remember is that it is personal preference until you find the one that works for you.

Prokote can remain tacky for a while and if you heat it up it will go thinner so can easily be applied. However, when you apply heat to any of the products the pot life reduces and you have to be quick when applying it.

You can get a ‘lite version’ product and this doesn’t usually require heat as it is thinner in the first place.

U40, Threadmaster and Flexcoat all do a lite version and this can be used as a first coat as it can soak into the threads. If you only have the high build version of the product you can thin it down with acetone and I usually only do this at 10% of the total volume. You can go higher and flexcoat say no more than 25%, but always read any instructions and follow the manufacturers guidelines.

One thing to also bear in mind is that when you mix the hardner and the resin together there is an exothermic reaction taking place and this means that heat is produced. So, by default there is heat in the mixture and this causes it to temporarily thin which allows for bubble release to take place.

Top Tip - I always use a stop watch when I apply my high build so I know what time frame I am working within. Some high builds are only 15-20 mins (longer if you cut with acetone) and the lite version can give you at least 50 mins. When mixing always use a folding motion rather than a stirring one and this will reduce bubbles (to a point)

Hope some of that helps.

If you use any type of flammable liquid be careful around naked flames.
Tim1972

Post by Tim1972 »

Thanks bob some really useful tips there.. really appreciated
IW123

Post by IW123 »

Like yourself I’ve only been building for just over a year but in that time I’ve done 9 different rods, Some have been my own old rods, I’ve been lucky and found a few unused blanks and some have been old rods I’ve got cheaply.
I’ve built cheap building up my skills but it allowed me to experiment with different epoxy so I’ve tried Seymo, Flexcoat, Procote so far. I’ve not heard anyone had a good word to say about Seymo! I didn’t notice too much difference between the other two if anything I’d say flexcoat had a slightly longer working time but I had decent results with both.
I’ve just ordered some of the lite U40, I’m fairly slow and methodical so I think the extra working time will be an advantage.
As you will be told plenty off times it all down to personal preferences even how many coats and what you apply it with, I’ve settled on a flat quarter inch artist brush just because with my old eyes I get better control, two coats has shown to me by a very experienced (legendary even) rod builder, first very thin which will allow some cleaning up and a second or even third to finish. One last thing if your going to try cutting with acetone make sure it’s pure and not nail varnish remover, maybe I was unlucky but it went a bit cloudy, I know nail varnish remover contains other things but you can buy a small bottle of acetone at Pharmacy’s.
PierPoint

Post by PierPoint »

Hi Ian that’s a great informative post there, very much appreciated.
PierPoint

Post by PierPoint »

I have also used the U40 and it is decent stuff. As you say its a lot lighter and lasts longer in the pot. You do need 2-3 coats but the final finish is worth the wait. I find there are less bubbles as well.
Tim1972

Post by Tim1972 »

Iw123

Very useful thanks for posting sounds like you’ve learnt a lot in such a short time
Chester69

Post by Chester69 »

Goodmorning
I've only been building on & off for about two & a half yrs , started out using five minute epoxy for fixing the odd guide here & its OK stuff for a quick repair & goes off pretty quick ! .
Then I moved on to flex coat high build for my builds it mixes ok but found it bubbled up , found folding not stiring helped , & just a little heat added to the pot popped them but doing this I found the pot life shortened... one coat of this was enough I found if applied evenly but two coats & the wrap look bulbus!...lovely clear finish though ...
Then I moved onto thread master high build & found almost the same results apart from the working time was a little longer but still a lovely finish ...
I've since settled on thread master lite I like this the viscosity is thiner mixes well with few bubbles , any bubbles that are present disapate , so I have no need to heat which in turn prolong the pot life , longer time to apply & a clear finish ...you need maybe three coats & the job takes a bit longer but I think the results are worth it ..
Maybe I'll try U40 at some point , G4 epoxy if & when I get me hands on it heard nothing but amazing reviews about it ,,,, goes on like baby oil mixes well etc etc ..
Tim1972

Post by Tim1972 »

So do you recommend putting light build on to soak in thread before ..then coat with high build after bob? ..also how do you use high build on your rod decals and tip tape ..do you apply one coat our two and would you apply a thinner coat on that first as I’ve only been using high build ..many thanks for reply’s
PierPoint

Post by PierPoint »

I use Threadmaster lite and highbuild. I use the lite as the first coat, then the high build as the top coat. I thin the high build at 10% only with acetone as it gives me a bit longer on the pot life.

When doing a decal I go straight high build only without the acetone as sometimes the solvent can interfere with the decal. Depending on temperature I may warm the resin only and not the hardener, which gives better flow across the decal.